I am a white male. Here are my experiences with white privilege.
- In 1979, I could not get into any college because women and minorities went to the front of the line. So I went to technical school.
- I have a Spanish surname, and sometimes companies that hire me erase the “white, not Hispanic” on the EOE form and check “Hispanic”, even though I am only 1/4 Hispanic at most.
- I was once told by an employment broker that he could place me right now if I would check the Hispanic and Female boxes, but since I didn’t I would have to face the screening.
- I am not eligible for women-and-minority owned business loans.
- I was advised to put my wife’s name on all my business licenses so I could be more eligible for city, county, and state contracts.
- I have never received a job, contract, raise, or bonus because I am white.
- I have never been contacted and asked to join a white guys club, or advised to do something to help out the white race.
- I don’t hang with nor do I know anyone who ever thinks about how to suppress other races. In general, the white guys I know just want to work hard and better themselves and their families.
- I have never owned a slave.
- I don’t know anyone who has ever been a slave.
- I have done alright for myself, despite the crappy public education that tried to teach me to hate myself and submit for emotional and verbal flogging because of some perceived injustice someone else did generations ago.
So basically, my white privilege has gotten me extra taxes and fewer opportunities all my life.
My income has been stolen and used against my will to prop up policies that seriously harm minorities and women, break down the family, encourage sloth and illegal activity.
When I hear white men being shut down with the phrase, “check your privilege”, I am inclined to laugh. You snowflakes have no standing to say that unless you walk in our shoes. There.